Saturday, February 18, 2006

That Traditional Arequipan Tradition

I've been wanting to visit a restaurant in the southeast of town called Tradicion Arequipena (alas, minus applicable accents because I'm too lazy to figure out how to do them). I've been going on about it a lot. I figured today was the day.

So, we got in the cab, got on the road, and had the following conversation:
Aaron: So, you have the guidebook, right, so we know exactly where it is?
Me: No, it's a really famous restaurant, the cabby knows where it is.
A: But there are lots of traditional Arequipan restaurants around . . .
M: I didn't say, "take us somewhere traditionally Arequipan," I said, "take us to the restaurant called Tradicion Arequipena."
A: I'm just saying, we should have the guide book. I think he's already going the wrong way. LOTS of restaurants advertise traditional Arequipan food.
M: {fumefumefumefume} It's the name of the restaurant!!!!

[time passes and it becomes apparent that the cabby is going the right way]
M: Look, I'm sorry I got so defensive back there, but I really think he does know where he's going, and I didn't realize you wanted the book along with us - I don't usually carry it with me.
A: Well, we had it with us this morning, I just figured it should be in the bag this afternoon.
. . .
. . .
. . .
. . .
A: This place must be pretty close to my office.
. . .
. . .
A: Is that it across the street?
M: (glancing) Yep.
A: Yeah, that's where I went for lunch with my coworkers yesterday.
M: WHAT?!?
A: You can understand why I thought lots of places advertised "traditional Arequipan" food . . .

No comments: