Friday, March 03, 2006

The Unexpected Perks of Having a Nanny

Not only does she keep an eye on the kids, assist with feeding and bathing them, and just generally help mothering go more smoothly - kind of like a mommy's aide - she also can run out and do my shopping for me. You see, there are times when the children are both asleep (admittedly, this is rare), or one or both of them is being very clingy (this is constant), and she's at a bit of a loose end. So, yesterday, I gave her a shopping list and some money, called her a cab, and she came back 45 minutes later with all my groceries, a receipt, and some change. And today, when the boys both fell asleep, she said, "well, I can go out and get Joffre's school supplies - my mom's a preschool teacher and I know the good places to go." And off she went.

Nepotism Makes the World Go 'Round
I knew our nanny was the daughter of friends of our company liason, and I knew the real estate agent was a friend of the company liason, but only on Wednesday when we moved did I discover that the nanny is the daughter of the real estate agent. But she also teaches preschool. Oh, and the staff psychologist at the preschool we're sending Joffre to (more on that phenomenon later) is the older sister of a schoolmate of the nanny's.

No comments: