Monday, March 13, 2006

Now I'm Really Cooking With Gas

Literally, that is. Figuratively, I'm winging it, or possibly even flying on a wing and a prayer. On the stove it's not that bad, since the flame is right there and you can adjust it constantly. The only problem I have is that even the lowest heat on the smallest burner is hotter than I'm used to. The rice boils dry too quickly, and stew meat gets tough.

The oven's the bigger issue. For one thing, there's no broiler. As it turns out, I used the broiler a lot in Canada. Also, the temperatures are marked in Celsius, but I've worked out the conversion. The heat from the gas just travels around the food differently, and the result is quite different from electric heat.

I'm sure I'll get used to it, and in the meantime Joffre and I will continue trying to make the perfect peanut butter cookies.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi, Melania. Finally G told me your website address and I'm able to see your blog. I'm glad to see some pictures of J & A. They look great and you seem to be enjoying the new life. We care what our friends are doing, so it is very nice to be able to see your website whenever we want.

Melania said...

Thanks, Eriko! How are you feeling these days? I should be checking your blog more regularly, too!