Friday, February 16, 2007

Just Beachy

We've been to the beach twice in the past week, which is very exciting. It's a long and twisty 2-hour drive to the coast, and the way down is characterized by the children being little beggars. But then we get to Mollendo, where for a song you can rent a cabana or a big beach umbrella, beach chairs, and a wading pool that the proprietor will fill with sea water. The ocean is calmer now than it was last March or last November, and wave-jumping is all the rage among the little members of our family.

After getting thoroughly sandy and splashy, we feast upon fried octopus, squid, and sea bass, with chips and rice, and drink Inca Kola in flimsy plastic cups. It's downright lovely. In the grand tradition of looking out for the kids first, I forgot to apply adequate sunblock to myself and burned my face, neck and shoulders - and shins. That was the first day; I had smartened up by the second day.

I don't have any pictures of our most recent beach excursions, but I don't think I shared the shots from last November here, so here are a few to give you an idea of the beach:






No comments: