Thursday, January 25, 2007

The Best Chicharron

Peruvian chicharrones, for the uninitiated, are large chunks of pork - usually belly - seasoned and deep fried, served with toasted dried corn kernels, deep fried boiled potatoes, and sarza criolla, a simple and delicious salad made of slivered red onions, tomatoes, lime juice, salt, and occasionally some herbs.

I love this porky goodness, but more often than not it is sold in very basic restaurants where only the pork counts and the rest of the food is a barely-edible garnish. Or, it's dressed up and revamped in some "Novoandino" ("New Andean") style that destroys its humble greatness. But we found a place, in the Plaza de Armas, where the pork is fabulous, the potatoes warm, crispy, soft, and delicious, and the sarza divine. I would eat there every weekend if I could. Hey! I can!

Good thing I've started going to the gym . . .

No comments: