Thursday, May 25, 2006

Illogic

There's a whitewashed wall that we drive past on our way home from downtown, which someone has painted with the following phrase in big bold red and black: "¡ESTE TERRENO NO SE VENDE! 555-123" Which of course means "THIS LOT IS NOT FOR SALE! 555-123." And this is hilarious to me. So one day, I was laughing about it, in a taxi, and I said to the taxi driver, "Why would this person paint on their wall that the land isn't for sale?" The cabby said, "Maybe people keep trying to buy it." I said, "Okay, but then wouldn't it make more sense not to put your phone number up?" What possible reason could there be for offering your phone number when you don't want people to call you?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I decided not to leave a comment regarding this post.

Anonymous said...

Perhaps it's the old reverse psychology ploy. (third time this week) If you tell people that it is not available, then they will see it as more valuable or want it even more, sort of like the unavailable foodstuffs in your other entry. Sooo... if it is really for sale, and I think it probably is, then it would be necessary to post the phone number.

Melania said...

Yeah, I think you're right. It comes off like, "Really, no, there is no way on Earth I'd part with this fiiine piece of real estate. Not a chance. Too attached to it. (I can be reached on my mobile at ***-**** to further discuss my conviction.)"