Sunday, April 09, 2006

Head Damage

First, allow me to apologize for the hiatus in posting - I'll try not to let it happen again, but one does get so busy . . .

Alec has his Very Own Bed now, thanks to a nasty bonking incident a few weeks ago. He took a nose dive off the bed (2.5 feet in height) at about 5:20 am, so I woke up to the sound of baby head hitting wood-on-concrete floor. Not fun. There was a lot of crying, but he got calmed down, scowled and squirmed appropriately when I shone a flashlight in his eyes, ate his breakfast, and was soon berating the cows out the bedroom window (his latest favorite activity).

Not to be outdone, Joffre has since taken two headers from beds - his own and ours - and in one incident clipped his right eyelid on the corner of the bedside table, producing impressive bruising. So, you know, the folks at the preschool are keeping an eye on me now.

Then we were out for lunch one fine Sunday afternoon, and all of a sudden all the words on the left side of my menu disappeared. They came back right away, so I assumed it was a trick of the light. While we were eating, however, I developed a nasty stabbing headache, which I endeavored to ignore. As we finished the meal, I lost the feeling in my left arm and the left side of my face, which I of course assumed was a stroke. Some feeling came back, but it felt strange for a while. The doctor at emergency decided it was a migraine. If I never get another one, it will be too soon. The doctor announced that he was going to give me two injections, one for the pain and one for the nausea, but I politely (I hope) told him Advil would be fine, went home, took said medication, and slept for three hours.

I had heard before that spouses of migraine sufferers often developed them too, but I'd chalked it up to urban legend. Drat.

2 comments:

Amy said...

I've had migraines since I was five. You poor baby. Here are my tried and true remedies:

Caffeine. A cup of strong, hot, black tea does wonders, but coffee doesn't. Go figure.

Cold. Run the back of your head, where your skull attaches to your spine, under the coldest water from the bathtub faucet that you can stand, for several minutes. I think it shrinks the blood vessels. It's wonderful. It will kill the pain long enough for you to get to sleep (see below), usually. Make sure that you have help standing up, though, because it will make you dizzy.

Cold II. If you don't feel like passing out on your bathroom floor (because really, that hasn't been cute since college, and even then...) you can fill a clean sock with rice and stick it in the freezer for a nice cold pack (and they microwave for a nice heating pack, too, just put a glass of water in the microwave with it, so it doesn't burn, and don't use Minute Rice or you'll have a fire...). The rice forms nicely to your head. Put it on the back of your neck. Frozen peas also work, in a pinch.

Massage. Nothing helps like a head massage, except maybe having your hair brushed, but that's hard to do lying down, and you need to lie down so you can...

Sleep. Sleep is the only thing that really gets rid of mine. Nothing else ends them, other remedies just dull the pain long enough so that I can get to sleep. It looks like you figured that out, from your post.

Of course, avoid light and sound (you'll figure that out, quickly, too, as both can and will make you nauseated if you get too much with a migraine). Pregnancy seems to have cured mine - I've only had two since we conceived MG. Sweet!

Hope you're feeling better!!
Amy

Melania said...

Thanks for all the good advice, sweetie! I will definitely try the strong tea idea. I can't stand the feeling of anything cold on my skin, but maybe I'll make an exception here. Fortunately (?), Aaron has been a migraine sufferer for as long as I've known him, so at least I have experience being around someone with migraines. He takes low-dose aspirin at the first threat of a migraine, and it seems to prevent it from developing. I've been doing the same, since I've had a few threatening times since the first one, and it seems to be working.

So glad to hear that yours seem to have vanished!